This page contains information related to editing Waze maps in the USA Southeast Region which includes Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. It takes precedence over any more geographically localized state-level sub-pages to ensure regional unity and consistency. Your regional coordinators are driving79 (RC) and itzwolf (ARC). Questions regarding this information should be addressed to the Southeast Regional Coordinators or the State Managers.
US Southeast is our Waze forum.
This page is maintained by the Key Southeast Region Editors and moderated by driving79 (RC) and itzwolf (ARC). Please see section on Proposed Wazeopedia Changes for submission protocol. Southeast map editors are encouraged to add/modify their own information in the Key Southeast Region Editors table below. All editors should be intimately familiar with Best Editing Practices.
Additionally, important links and materials for all Southeast editors are available at:
- 1 States, Counties and Localities
- 2 Road (Segment) Types
- 3 Mapping Resources & Functional Classification
- 4 Update Requests & Comments
- 5 Places
- 6 Major Construction Projects
- 7 Special Roads
- 8 Segment & Turn Restrictions
- 9 Cameras
- 10 Forums
- 11 Proposed Wazeopedia Changes
- 12 Key Southeast Region Editors
States, Counties and Localities
Road (Segment) Types
Minimum Road Type Standards
- Interstate =
- US Hwy = (MH)
- State Roads = (mH)
Road Segment Naming
Often when US Hwys, State Roads, and County Roads pass through municipalities, they have a local name (e.g, "Main St"). Please see Road Names for instructions on how to name these segments. Check here for other states. Note that Freeway and Ramp segments do not have an included city name. Select the 'none' checkbox beside the city field for these types of road segments.
Road Segment Locking
|Segment Type||Default locks|
When to Split a Two-Way Road
- If a road is currently working with no problem reports, consider leaving it as is.
- Prior to splitting a road, send a PM to one of the State Managers or Southeast Regional Coordinators.
A road may be divided when ALL of the following conditions are met:
A road should not be divided when:
- The non-driveable median is interrupted by a cross segment at most intersections.
- It is possible and legal to make a left turn/u-turn everywhere along the road
Private Road Segments
Click here for guidance for use of the Private Road Segment in the Southeast.
NOTE: If you have any questions please seek guidance from one of the State Managers.
- Segment travels over another segment (also known as Overpass).
- Segment travels over a large river or large body of water.
- Segment artificially elevated to pass over large ground level objects and large natural features.
A tunnel is any road segment that is underground and thus the GPS reception is inconsistent.
|Segment over water without True Elevation||Segment over water with True Elevation|
- Only elevate/lower the actual bridge/tunnel section of the road.
- Bridges should be cut at the start/end of the bridge where the land falls away. You can usually see guardrail at the start/end of the bridge section. Also the pavement type may change (Asphalt to Concrete for example).
- Maintain some uniformity for display purposes when determining where to make the splits.
- Tunneled segments shall have lower elevation, relative to ground and Tunnel should be checked.
- Only segments that are actually underground should have the negative elevation.
- The use of common sense is paramount in using True Elevation.
NOTE: If you use the Bridge tool to join segments, be aware that this will raise the elevation of the joined segment and you must lower the joined segment as appropriate.
Mapping Resources & Functional Classification
Use of City Field
For Freeways and Ramps, the "Primary City" name should always be marked "None". (There is no "Alternate City".)
For All Other Segments,
- The "Primary City" name should be an incorporated municipality or a CDP (Census Designated Place) if that segment is confirmed to be within the established geographic limits. If a segment does not lie within one of these, the "Primary City" should be marked "None". Instructions on how to select the appropriate city name are set forth in Determining Primary City Name.
- The "Alternate City" name is always the city named in the USPS mailing address. If the "Primary City" name is the same as the USPS city, an "Alternate City" name is not needed. Segments may have multiple "Alternate City" names which are valid and approved for use by the USPS.
- Duplicate City Names: You may find cities and/or CDPs with exactly the same name. If you believe you have encountered a city or CDP that is a duplicate of another in the same state, first confirm the findings with your State Manager(s) (SMs). Your SM will facilitate the necessary naming changes. The convention for dealing with duplicate city/CDP names is as follows:
- Two cities of the same name (append county to the city with the smallest population) (See two cities example in the table below)
- City and (at least one) CDP of the same name (append county to CDP(s) name) (See city with one or more CDP example) If there are multiple CDPs sharing a name with a city, all CDPs will have county name appended.
- CDP and (at least one) CDP of the same name (append county to the CDP with the smallest population) (See two or more CDPs example in the table below). The largest CDP is the only CDP that will not have the county appended to the name.
- When the county name is appended, use this format (County Co). As an example, Orange County would be appended exactly as "(Orange Co)"
|City||Happy||25,000||This||Happy (This Co)|
|(city with one (or more) CDP(s))|
|CDP||North Happy||100,000||Another||North Happy (Another Co)|
|(two (or more) CDPs)|
|CDP||Glad||15,000||This||Happy (This Co)|
A "City" name is required.
- For PPs, APs, and PLAs, the "City" name, as well as the rest of the address, is determined by the business or entity. Whatever it identifies as the address should be used.
- For RPPs, use the USPS mailing address city for the "City" name.
An important note about Florida traffic laws is included at the page linked above.
Click the link above for resources on functional classification.
Click the link above for more information about Unsigned FL SR#'s along US and Interstate Highways
Update Requests & Comments
Do not leave reminders at 4 days (or at any other time).
If you are the only editor to comment on a UR and all three of the following conditions apply:
- This UR has no information from the reporter in the “Problem” field that suggests a solution.
- There is no responding comment from the reporter/driver.
This UR can be closed when your comment is 5 days old.
- water of any kind
- toll plazas
Exceptions to a point or area that ARE mapped in the southeast:
- Post Office is an area
- Library is an area
- Museum is an area
- Government is an area
- City Hall is an area
- Sports court is an area
- Car Dealership is always a point
- Camp Grounds / RV Parks are always a point
IMPORTANT Please do not work Place Update Requests (PUR) zoomed all the way out. Please zoom in to the place, make sure it's in the correct spot, and run the WME Place Harmonizer script to make sure everything is correct and entered. We want to make sure waze has the best experience for the drivers, so finding a place in search and getting to their destination accurately is extremely important!
Place Requirements & Lock Standards
Places may be locked only after the following information, at a minimum, is present: 1) correct name, 2) correct, complete address, 3) correct category, and 4) External Provider (google link), if one exists.
- RPPs must have a complete mailing address and an Entry Point must be set. (A google link is not required for an RPP.)
- For Parking Lots (PLAs), add an external provider ONLY IF it is a separate link to that PARKING LOT. (DO NOT ADD a glink for a business served by the PLA.)
- For Gas Stations, IF the brand of gas is not identified, leave the brand field blank. (DO NOT ADD the brand selection "UNBRANDED". The gas station entry (or stop) point should be placed over the gas pumps.
- For Universities and Colleges please reference the document in the SER Repository.
- Restaurants and Fast Food places that have delivery services such as Doordash, Foodnow, and Ubereats should have delivery selected under services.
Lock at level 5: Airports (and their PLAs), Arenas, Hospitals, Park and Ride lots, Urgent Care Centers, and Universities.
Lock at level 3: All other Places including PPs, APs, PLAs, and RPPs.
If you are unable to lock a Place high enough (due to level limitations), please lock it as high as you can. Then, post an up-lock request for help in the USA Unlock Forum or the unlock channel on the SER Discord server.
Place Mapping Guidance
Map apartment complexes using the category of "Other" and set the place point (PP) at the leasing office when it is located in close proximity (you can see it from the main road in Street View or within a couple hundred yards) to the Main/Visitor usable entrance. (Most often the leasing office will be near this entrance and, if not, signage will guide the wazer.) If there is no obvious leasing office or if it is not near the main entrance, place the PP off to the side of the main road that leads to the main entrance. Set the entry point just inside the main/visitor entrance. Our goal is to get wazers to the complex regardless of whether a resident, potential renter, or visitor.
Add the apartment complex information as you would for any other PP. If necessary, the description field can be used for additional important information. For example, apartments are open 24/7 for residents/visitors and the leasing office hours are different. If appropriate, note the leasing office hours in the description (similar to how it is done for a pharmacy within a store).
DO NOT map PPs for clubhouses or the leasing offices separately for apartment/condo/townhouse complexes. (The single place point for the complex is sufficient.)
- Verify that brand is correct (the field with dropdown near the bottom). If the brand of gas is not identified, leave the field blank. DO NOT use the brand selection 'UNBRANDED'.
- Ensure that the gas station name is correct.
SER follows the national guidance for Gas Stations with the following exceptions:
- • The gas station "Entry" point is placed over the gas pumps.
- • We DO NOT add a U-turn to PLRs for a gas station.
We DO NOT map place points (PPs) specifically for housing developments or communities (aka subdivisions/neighborhoods). (Waze routes effectively to the street address for each building in the community.)
For gated neighborhoods, IF we receive multiple UR’s for bad routing which is due to multiple entrances and includes a residents-only gate, you may add a PP for the Main/Visitor gate. Make the primary name: Community Name “- Main Gate”, and the alternate: Community Name “ - Visitor Gate”. (Then, a wazer can add the gate PP as a stop on a route to the residence OR route to the gate PP and then route to the residence. Either method will address this routing issue.) Please contact SER Leadership for assistance with adding “gates” to a private community.
Places within other Places
Sometimes you will find a place within a place. Set the place point at the building entrance AND note that it's inside the other business in the Name field. WMEPH will ignore the information inside the parenthesis and pull the correct harmonization information. EXAMPLES:
- Subway inside a Walmart --> " SUBWAY (inside Walmart) "
- CVS inside a Target --> " CVS (inside Target) "
- Phone Numbers
- Places should follow one of the following telephone number formats: (XXX) XXX-XXXX or XXX-XXX-XXXX
Chain Harmonization Sheet
- Missing Chains
- If you don't find the business you're looking for, and it has 10 or more locations, please use this form to submit the missing information. If the business operates in two or more SER states, just check SER where it says state and it will work in all three states.
- Issues with this form
- Some places do not have a clear place category, so we have provided this list for ones we get regular questions about. If you think a business type should be added to this list, please use this form to submit the missing information and to the moderator that you have requested more information.
Major Construction Projects
Toll roads have pricing contained in price files that are separate from WME but linked through segment and node IDs. Since changes affecting these IDs can break toll pricing calculations, please contact SER leadership before editing these segments.
If any of these IDs or their order are changed through cutting, merging, disconnection or deletion, the toll price file will not work. Much more detailed information is in the Waze Wiki for Tolls. https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Toll#Prices
The Southeast region maps per Toll Road national guidance EXCEPT in the following situation:
ALL segments of a road with tolls should be marked with the “This is a toll road” attribute. To do this:
- Press “Add Restrictions” menu button in WME.
- Next, select the blue checkbox for “Toll road”.
- Then click on the Apply” button.
Reminder: For bridges or causeways, mark only the segment with the toll booth as a “Toll road”. If only one direction is tolled, divide the road where the toll is collected AND mark only the segment with the toll booth as a toll road.
Alleys are only mapped if they lead to more than one business or residence.
Map Alleys which meet this condition as follows: If there is a name for the Alley, set the road type to Private Road. An Alley without a name should be set to PLR. To ensure routing issues have not been created in the map, review all streets adjacent to the alley and verify that 1) HN's are present and placed in the correct location, and, 2) Place Points snap to the correct segment.
Alleys which do not meet this condition are not to be mapped.
A boat ramp is a roadway that leads into water to float a boat to or from a trailer. Boat ramps are not to be mapped. Any adjacent parking may be mapped, but ensure that dead-end segments that point toward the ramp terminate at least 150 feet from where the ramp goes into the water.
Generally, if a path can't be driven on (e.g. Walking Trail, Pedestrian Boardwalk, Stairway) then it is not mapped. Waze is a driving app, not a pedestrian, bicycle, or flying app.
Emergency Vehicle and DOT Service Roads
We do not map Emergency Vehicle and DOT Service Roads.
Parking Lot Roads
The Southeast region maps per PLR national guidance EXCEPT for the following situations:
- Do not add U-turns to ANY PLR segment (including those for PLAs and gas stations) and,
- Do not map transition penalty segments unless the problem was documented in an Update Request.
Railroads can be mapped, but they are not a priority at this time.
Segment & Turn Restrictions
In the Southeast where legally allowed, roads with medians (earthen, curbed, or striped pavement) or dedicated turn lanes should have U-turns enabled.
- Alabama Code: Turning on curve or crest
- Florida Statutes: Limitations on turning around
- Georgia Code: U-Turns
Reminder: The Southeast region DOES NOT ADD U-Turns to PLRs FOR Gas Stations and Parking Lot Areas (PLAs).
- Major Traffic Events
- Temporary Road Closures
- Scheduled restrictions
For Mega Events we need advance notice so they will appear in the app and we can get the proper closure sheet for the event. There are four methods to control traffic flow:
Please refer to the Partial Restrictions wiki for further guidance.
Red Light Cameras
New red light cameras are rare, so all should already be mapped. If you find a camera that needs to be added, please let a high ranking editor know so it can angled properly and locked as high as possible.
Known Camera Locations
Tallahassee Red Light Cameras Deactivated 8/17/15, slated for removal.
Speed cameras that issue tickets are not located in Alabama and Florida. Georgia allows speed cameras effective May 8, 2018. Work with a senior editor when placing and approving cameras.
Other Camera Types
Proposed Wazeopedia Changes
Anyone who wishes to propose additions, changes, or corrections to the SER wazeopedia should send a DM to a State Manager and Regional Coordinator (listed below) with the proposed addition or change along with the reasons why (as appropriate). The SER leadership team will then review, discuss, and make a decision on the proposal.
Key Southeast Region Editors
|driving79||6||PM|| United States
Southeast Regional Coordinator
|itzwolf||6||PM|| United States
Southeast Assistant Regional Coordinator
|Jakflash||6||PM|| United States
FL State Manager
|spankdog||6||PM||United States|| |
|ggrane||5||PM||United States||FL/MO Resident|
|ramblinwreck_81||5||PM||United States||GA Resident|
|willdanneriv||5||PM||United States||FL Resident|
|RainMan3699||5||PM||North Alabama||GA Resident|
(B'ham-Jefferson, Shelby, & Surrounding Counties )
|jbrianj||4||PM|| Gulf Coast
(Mobile, Gulf Shores)
|RivrGuy||3||PM|| Gulf Coast
(Mobile, Gulf Shores)
(West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, Miami)
|gOyDp||5||PM||Central and Eastern Florida||Local Resident|
(West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, Miami)
|LostRiver2008||5||PM|| Big Bend
(Tallahassee, Lake City, Cedar Key)
|mrbyte_ontheroad||5||PM|| Central FL
(Daytona, Ocala, Spring Hill, Orlando)
|red-nax||5||PM||South Florida||GA Resident|
|tcalvert317||5||PM||South Florida||TX Resident|
|bassdan7403||4||PM|| Alachua County
(Brevard, Lake, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Polk, Seminole, Volusia Counties)
|DruDoyle||4||PM||Mid to South Florida & Panhandle||Local Resident|
|EmilGz||4||PM||South Florida||Local Resident|
|jbrianj||4||PM|| Western Panhandle
(Pensacola, Panama City)
(Bradenton, Sarasota, Port Charlotte)
|yellowmellowyellow||4||PM|| South Florida
(Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Ft Myers)
|decktj001||3||PM||Brandon / Tampa||Local Resident|
|FalloutRanger||3||PM||St. Augustine||Local Resident|
|kidkart72||3||PM||Panama City||Local Resident|
|NetGuyGreen||3||PM|| Northwest and Central
(Orlando, Sanford, Apopka)
(Tampa, Sarasota, Ft. Myers)
(Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona, Palatka)
(Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade Counties)
|TFPTraffic||2||PM|| North Tampa
(Hernando and Citrus Counties)
|red-nax||5||PM||North Georgia||Local Resident|
(Blakely, Colquitt, Columbus)
|DruDoyle||4||PM||North Georgia||FL Resident|
|fish1552||4||PM|| East Central
(Douglas, Dublin, Statesboro)
(Summerville, Carrollton, and Peachtree City)
|DrHenryJonesSr||3||PM|| North and East
|NPDChief||3||PM||Atlanta Area||Local Resident|
|rehmedy||2||PM|| NW Atlanta
(Marietta, Canton, and Alpharetta)