Difference between revisions of "USA/Southeast"
m (→Key Southeast Region Editors)
m (→Key Southeast Region Editors)
|Line 472:||Line 472:|
|- align="center" style="height: 60px;"
|- align="center" style="height: 60px;"
| [http://www.waze.com/user/editor/itzwolf itzwolf] || 6 || [http://www.waze.com/forum/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&username=itzwolf PM] || United States <br /> '''Southeast Assistant Regional Coordinator'''
| [http://www.waze.com/user/editor/itzwolf itzwolf] || 6 || [http://www.waze.com/forum/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&username=itzwolf PM] || United States <br /> '''Southeast Assistant Regional Coordinator''' || [[File:Badge LocalChamp.png|30px]] <br /> Local Champ <br /> FL Resident
|- align="center" style="height: 60px;"
|- align="center" style="height: 60px;"
Revision as of 23:16, 24 May 2018
To get in contact with the Southeast editors please use this link to join the Southeast Region Editors on Discord!
US Southeast is our Waze forum.
This page is maintained by the Key Southeast Region Editors and moderated by driving79. Please see section on Proposed Changes for submission protocol. Southeast map editors are encouraged to add/modify their own information in the Key Southeast Region Editors table below. All editors should be intimately familiar with Best Editing Practices.
Additionally, important links and materials for all Southeast editors are available at:
- 1 States, Counties and Localities
- 2 Road (Segment) Types
- 3 Mapping Resources & Functional Classification
- 4 Update Requests & Comments
- 5 Places
- 6 Major Construction Projects
- 7 Special Roads
- 8 Segment & Turn Restrictions
- 9 Cameras
- 10 Forums
- 11 Proposed Wazeopedia Changes
- 12 Key Southeast Region Editors
- 13 Discipline
States, Counties and Localities
- Overview: There are 523 municipalities and 159 counties in the state. The toll system is PeachPass and is primarily found on HOV lanes in metro Atlanta. Some HOV lanes require PeachPass. Outside of Georgia, it is compatible with the FL Sunpass, and the NC QuickPass. Georgia is in the Eastern time zone. There are also HOT lanes that are High Occupancy Toll lanes. The is a minimum of 3 people required to be in the vehicle and you must have the PeachPass. Toll prices vary based on traffic flow and the distance you are traveling. There are access areas marked by striped lines as opposed to solid lines. The lanes are monitored by numerous cameras and by local police. The busier the traffic, the more you pay. Prices are listed on overhead electronic signs.
Road (Segment) Types
Minimum Road Type Standards
- Interstate =
- US Hwy = (MH)
- State Roads = (mH)
Dirt (unpaved/gravel) Roads
How to determine when
If the users' client options are set to avoid dirt roads, they will still be routed on dirt roads functionally classified as either a Collector or Street. This is necessary to insure beginning-to-end routing should the origin/destination be on an unpaved road however, Waze route pruning will only consider these lower-priority roads (Primary Street, Street, Dirt) near the origin/destination.
- An unpaved County Road identified in the DOT FC system as a Collector is a Primary Street.
- An unpaved street identified in the DOT FC system as a Local road is a Street.
- Any unpaved road not listed in the DOT FC system is Dirt.
Road Segment Naming
- Parking Lot Roads -- We do not name parking lot roads in the SER. Consult with your State Manager if you think a parking lot road segment should be named.
Often when US Hwys, State Roads, and County Roads pass through municipalities, they have a local name (e.g, "Main St"). Please see Road Names for instructions on how to name these segments. Check here for other states. Note that Freeway and Ramp segments do not have an included city name. Select the 'none' checkbox beside the city field for these types of road segments.
Road Segment Locking
|Segment Type||Default locks|
When to Split a Two-Way Road
- If a road is currently working with no problem reports, consider leaving it as is.
- Prior to splitting a road, send a PM to one of the State Managers or the SE Regional Coordinator.
A road may be divided when ALL of the following conditions are met:
A road should not be divided when:
- The non-driveable median is interrupted by a cross segment at most intersections.
- It is possible and legal to make a left turn/u-turn everywhere along the road
Private Road Segments
Click here for guidance for use of the Private Road Segment in the Southeast.
NOTE: If you have any questions please seek guidance from one of the State Managers.
- Also known as Bridge and Overpass Segmentation Elevation (BOSE)
- Also known as Seagull Effect (Do Not Use)
The Southeast Region uses the concept of True Elevation (TE) to better represent segments in relationship with its surroundings/ground level. Most segments should have an elevation of Ground unless they pass over another segment, waterway, or natural feature. Drivable and non-drivable segments are handled the same way with elevation.
- Segment travels over another segment (also known as Overpass).
- Segment travels over a large river or large body of water.
- Segment artificially elevated to pass over large ground level objects and large natural features.
A tunnel is any road segment that is underground and thus the GPS reception is inconsistent.
Below are two images showing the difference in Live Map rendering when True Elevation is not applied and then when True Elevation is applied. Take note on the shading along the edge of the segment when True Elevation is used and how it is missing when it is not.
|Segment over water without True Elevation||Segment over water with True Elevation|
- Elevation of overlapping segments should be set relative to each other, with the lowest segment as Ground (unless that segment is a tunnel).
- Only elevate/lower the actual bridge/tunnel section of the road.
- Bridges should be cut at the start/end of the bridge where the land falls away. You can usually see guardrail at the start/end of the bridge section. Also the pavement type may change (Asphalt to Concrete for example).
- Do not cut segments for elevation purposes if the bridge starts/stops within 60m/200ft of an existing junction.
- Maintain some uniformity for display purposes when determining where to make the splits.
- No need to elevate segments over every small creek or box culvert. Only elevate over significant waterways or natural features.
- Only set elevation as low/high as necessary. For example, no segment should be Elevation +2 unless it passes over another segment with Elevation +1.
- Tunneled segments shall have lower elevation, relative to ground and Tunnel should be checked.
- Only segments that are actually underground should have the negative elevation.
- Tunnels should be cut at least 15m/50ft before and after the tunnel, to allow time for the GPS to regain signal.
- The use of common sense is paramount in using True Elevation.
NOTE: If you use the Bridge tool to join segments, be aware that this will raise the elevation of the joined segment and you must lower the joined segment as appropriate.
Mapping Resources & Functional Classification
Use of City Field
For segments, please follow the guidance set forth in Use of City Field for the proper use of the city name field for all states in the Southeast Region.
Places should always have a city.
- Functional Classification (very dated)
An important note about Florida traffic laws is included at the page linked above.
Click the link above for resources on functional classification.
Click the link above for more information about Unsigned FL SR#'s along US and Interstate Highways
Update Requests & Comments
The southeast follows the national Update Requests (UR) & Comments guidance with the following exceptions:
Do not leave reminders at 4 days (or at any other time.)
If you are the only editor to comment on a UR and all three of the following conditions apply:
- This UR has no information from the reporter in the “Problem” field that suggests a solution.
- There is no responding comment from the reporter/driver.
- There is no obvious issue to be resolved after surveying the map, the Waze route and the GPS track (if that information is included).
This UR can be closed when your comment is 5 days old.
If another editor left a comment for a reporter, there is no response from the reporter, AND the comment is at least 8 days old....look to see if you can solve the issue. If it can’t be solved simply put a comment about why it's being closed (i.e. "Closed due to inactivity.") and mark it Not Identified.
Do not over complicate the UR process. Please do not leave lengthy responses/questions. There are UR comment scripts that have been designed and approved by higher ranked editors available for your use. Scripts Page
- water of any kind
- toll plazas
Exceptions to a point or area that ARE mapped in the southeast:
- Post Office is an area
- Library is an area
- Museum is an area
- Government is an area
- City Hall is an area
- Sports court is an area
- Car Dealership is always a point
IMPORTANT Please do not work Place Update Requests (PUR) zoomed all the way out. Please zoom in to the place, make sure it's in the correct spot, and run the WME Place Harmonizer script to make sure everything is correct and entered. We want to make sure waze has the best experience for the drivers, so finding a place in search and getting to their destination accurately is extremely important!
Place Lock Standards
Places should be locked to the below standards, only after ALL data fields have been filled (if you can't find hours, that is ok). Note for gas stations - DO NOT USE THE BRAND "UNBRANDED". If it is a no brand gas station, just leave the brand field blank.
Lock at rank 5: hospitals, universities, schools, park and ride lots, arenas, airports.
If you cannot lock high enough because of rank, lock as high as you can, and post in the USA Unlock Forum to get help from a higher-ranked editor to lock properly or use the unlock channel on the Southeast Discord server.
Place Mapping Guidance
Map apartment complexes using the category of "Other" and set the place point at the Main/Visitor usable entrance. Most often the leasing office will be near this entrance and if not, signage will guide the wazer. Add the apartment complex information as you would any other place point and if necessary the description field can be used for any information deemed important to communicate. This can include the leasing office hours similarly to how Pharmacy Hours for Publix, Winn-Dixie, etc. are added which don’t fit the overall place point hours. This is important since apartments are open 24/7 for residents/visitors and the leasing hours will not match that. Our goal is to get the wazer to the apartments for whatever reason encompassing all potentials such as residents, visitors, and potential renters.
Mapping the apartment club houses is something we don’t do and there really is no need for. The exception for mapping a club house would be in a large golfing community like commonly seen in Florida. In this case the club house likely has its own address and this would add value routing to the location for hosted events.
There is no need to go hunt out all current apartment complex office place points to change them. If you are working something in the area and see the place point or working a PUR for the apartment complex (you should fully work a place when dealing with a PUR), then make the changes to match this guidance.
- Phone Numbers
- Places should follow one of the following telephone number formats: (XXX) XXX-XXXX or XXX-XXX-XXXX
Chain Harmonization Sheet
- Missing Chains
- Issues with this form
- If you see any issues with this form please contact the moderator with a description of the problem, and the "row number" of the item with the issue.
- Some places do not have a clear place category, so we have provided this list for ones we get regular questions about. If you do not see something you think should be on this list please use this form to submit the missing information and to the moderator that you have requested more information.
Major Construction Projects
Alleys are only mapped if they lead to more than one business or residence. Map alleys that meet this condition as a PLR (if the segment has no name) or as as Street if the segment is named. Alleys not meeting this condition are not to be mapped.
A boat ramp is a roadway that leads into water to float a boat to or from a trailer. Boat ramps are not to be mapped. Any adjacent parking may be mapped, but ensure that dead-end segments that point toward the ramp terminate at least 150 feet from where the ramp goes into the water.
Emergency Vehicle and DOT Service Roads
We do not map Emergency Vehicle and DOT Service Roads.
Parking Lot Roads
Railroads can be mapped, but they are not a priority at this time.
Segment & Turn Restrictions
NOTE: At this time SER is NOT adding u-turns in small parking lots or in gas stations on PLRs or LS. Do NOT add these at this time. Wazeopedia references to what we are NOT doing:
DO NOT DO THIS: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Global/Best_map_editing_practice#Small_Parking_Lots
DO NOT DO THIS: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Places/Gas_station#Parking_lot_road_u-turns
- Major Traffic Events
- Temporary Road Closures
- Scheduled restrictions
For Mega Events we need advance notice so they will appear in the app and we can get the proper closure sheet for the event. There are four methods to control traffic flow:
Please refer to the Partial Restrictions wiki for further guidance.
Red Light Cameras
New red light cameras are rare, so all should already be mapped. If you find a camera that needs to be added, please let a high ranking editor know so it can angled properly and locked as high as possible.
Known Camera Locations
Tallahassee Red Light Cameras Deactivated 8/17/15, slated for removal.
All Of Georgia (legally licensed locations only - not all are active - check with a GA State Manager)
Speed cameras that issue tickets are not located in Alabama and Florida. Georgia allows speed cameras effective May 8, 2018. Work with a senior editor when placing and approving cameras.
Other Camera Types
Proposed Wazeopedia Changes
Anyone who wishes to propose additions, changes or corrections to the SER wazeopedia should send a PM to their State Managers and RC (listed below) with the proposed addition/change and reasoning for it if appropriate. The SM's/RC will discuss the proposal with the whole SER leadership team for a decision.
Key Southeast Region Editors
|driving79||6||PM|| United States
Southeast Regional Coordinator
|itzwolf||6||PM|| United States
Southeast Assistant Regional Coordinator
|Jakflash||6||PM|| United States
FL State Manager
|spankdog||6||PM||United States|| |
|subbiebrz||5||PM|| East Central
(B'ham-Jefferson, Shelby, & Surrounding Counties )
|jbrianj||4||PM|| Gulf Coast
(Mobile, Gulf Shores)
(West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, Miami)
|LostRiver2008||5||PM|| Big Bend
(Tallahassee, Lake City, Cedar Key)
|mrbyte_ontheroad||5||PM|| Central FL
(Daytona, Ocala, Spring Hill, Orlando)
|tcalvert317||5||PM||South Florida||TX Resident|
|bassdan7403||4||PM|| Alachua County
(Brevard, Lake, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Polk, Seminole, Volusia Counties)
|DruDoyle||4||PM||Mid to South Florida||Local Resident|
|goydp||4||PM|| West Central
(Tampa, Ocala, Winter Haven)
|jbrianj||4||PM|| Western Panhandle
(Pensacola, Panama City)
(Orlando, Daytona, Titusville)
|sgtm14||4||PM|| Polk County
(Bartow, Lakeland, Winter Haven)
(Bradenton, Sarasota, Port Charlotte)
|triordan||4||PM|| Northern Tampa Bay
(Tampa, Land O Lakes, Wesley Chapel)
(Martin, Glades, Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade Counties)
|yellowmellowyellow||4||PM|| South Florida
(Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Ft Myers)
(Jacksonville, St. Johns, Clay, Putnam)
(Broward, Miami-Dade, & Palm Beach Ctys)
|decktj001||3||PM||Brandon / Tampa||Local Resident|
|FalloutRanger||3||PM||St. Augustine||Local Resident|
|netguygreen||3||PM|| Northwest and Central
(Tampa, Sarasota, Ft. Myers)
|rcaine||2||PM||Northwest Florida||GA Resident|
|soflzip||2||PM||Broward / Miami-Dade Counties||Local Resident|
|red-nax||5||PM||North Georgia||Local Resident|
(LaGrange, Macon, Milledgeville)
(Blakely, Colquitt, Columbus)
|DruDoyle||4||PM||North Georgia||FL Resident|
|fish1552||4||PM|| East Central
(Douglas, Dublin, Statesboro)
|RainMan3699||4||PM|| North East
(Grayson, Monroe, Convington)
|sgtm14||4||PM|| Greater Augusta
|westjacksonfd||4||PM|| North East
(Athens, Gainesville, Toccoa)
|DrHenryJonesSr||3||PM|| North and East
|outdoorliving||3||PM|| North Central
(Cartersville, Dalton, Ellijay)
- Deleting and redrawing roads
- Closing UR's without following this flowchart
- Creating mass amounts of parking lot roads
- Creating roads on top of already existing roads
- Disrespect to higher ranking editors
- Not cleaning up your own mess
- Not responding to private messages
- Willful damage to the map
- Editing just to clear geometry nodes will result in an instant blocking of your editing rights
- Formal mentoring
- Lowering of rank
- Temporary suspension of editing rights
- Permanent suspension of editing rights