Montana follows the Functional Classification (FC) system for both state and non-state roads. This change from the previous road-typing guidance was changed in September 2014.
- To properly type a Freeway, Major Highway, Minor Highway, or Primary Street, refer to the Montana ArcGIS site and cross reference that against the Waze Functional Classification table.
- Urban area FC maps (PDFs, cross-reference with ArcGIS site when necessary)
- Montana Department of Transportation homepage
- Montana Department of Transportation Interactive Maps
- List of Montana Numbered Highways
- The Montana Road Log provides descriptions of Montana highways (useful to find start and end points when road signs are limited, or GIS resources aren't clear). From the MDT Brochures page. IMPORTANT NOTE: The "N" numbers are not the US Highway numbers; you must look in the details for that "N" route to find statements like "ENTER US 2" to determine the correct number.
- FC Statewide Map .pdf
- MDT Speed Limits. Legal reference: MT Code Annotated 2015.
- Montana Cadastral data is a framework of property boundaries along with associated land ownership information (who owns what and where). The goals of the Project are to produce, and maintain, cadastral information in a consistent, digital format for the entire State of Montana
Some counties also offer interactive GIS maps. Those we are aware of are found here.
MDT City, County, Urban, and Unincorporated Maps
MDT Incorporated City Maps
MDT County Maps
MDT Urban Maps
MDT Unincorporated Town Maps
Useful scripts to help you start your WME carrier. Please read the General installation instructions before installing scripts.