The goal of this page update is to incorporate guidance relevant to naming Railroad Stations into the Illinois wiki page.
| This information is under consideration for the Illinois state wiki.|
It should not be considered official guidance.
Railroad Stations in Illinois should be created as Area Places covering the platforms and station building(s). Naming conventions are as follows:
- Primary name should be the familiar name of the line (Metra, Amtrak, CTA, Metrolink) followed by the name of the station, and the word "Station". Exception: if the same name is used for different physical stations on different train lines, then add a dash and a suffix with the full train line name.
- Metra Arlington Heights Station
- Amtrak Chicago Union Station
- CTA California Station-Green Line
- CTA California Station-Pink Line
- Metrolink Belleville Station
- Alternate name(s) should be assigned for each Metra, CTA, or MetroLink railroad line stopping at the station, using the familiar name as shown on the Metra or CTA or Metro Transit-St. Louis website.
- Metra Western Ave Station-Milwaukee District West Line
- Metra Western Ave Station-Milwaukee District North Line
- Metra Arlington Heights Station-Union Pacific Northwest Line
- Metrolink 5th & Missouri Station-Red Line
- If the station name includes street types (Avenue, Road, Street, etc.), use standard Waze abbreviations.
- Metra Pingree Rd Station
- The drive point should be placed at the nearest road or PLR to the station entrance, or if there is no station, to a logical drop-off point. For stations with multiple entrances, use the one most appropriate for the name of the station, e.g. if the station is called Western Avenue and has two entrances, use the one on Western Ave. If no single entrance is an obvious, choice, then choose one on a a major, preferably two-way street that is close to the center of the station.
- Stations should have a full address if available, and be locked at Level 3 or higher.
This proposal is under discussion on the forums, at the following link: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=181690