When moderating Place Update Requests (PURs), please be aware that they are not added to the map until the Wazer hits Done. This means that a passenger of a car may take a great photo of a business, but be a block or two down the road before it is added. Zoom into the map where the Place was added and ensure they are where they are supposed to be.
Chain Name Harmonization
In an effort to keep common Places the same across the region, the South Atlantic wiki page now has a list to reference. The list includes Names, Alt Names, Categories, and Websites of Chain companies across the region. If you do not see a Chain listed and feel it should be added, please fill out this form to submit it for review.
Places can be locked once they have enough information so trusted users trying to change the information that has already been verified will need to have the changes approved. As a rule we lock Hospitals and Airports at 5 and everything else can be locked at 3, but only after it minimally has the following information:
- Correct Category
- Name - Formatted with Title Case (Use capital letters for the first letter in each word)
- Area or Point with Destination Point in the correct location
- Address - House number and correct street name
Please try to fill in all information available, but those items are the minimum.
|1 July 2016 - This section is under construction. Please check back for updates.|
Kentucky currently observes the following South Atlantic Region format for phone numbers:
Waze allows you to connect places and POI from external providers. One of the providers is Google Maps. When a Place is linked, drivers can select any destination from search results in the app, whether the result is from Waze or Google, it will always lead you to the navigation stop point from Waze. This can also be linked to a street address point for the business if the address point exists in Google Maps.
Connect an external POI following this procedure:
- Create / Select a Place.
- Click on the link: Link this Waze Place to a Google Place.
- Gradually as you type the name of the place in the drop-down list, recommended external POI names begin to appear.
- Select the correct name.
- Save your changes.
If the place that has already been linked, you will see a box with the name and address of the external POI. Under this field is a unique identifier.
If you find that a site is linked to an improper external POI:
- Delete link by clicking the X next to the POI field.
- Save the changes.
Do not link the same external provider link to multiple Places.
Creating and editing links to External Provider POIs is allowed only by Rank 2 editors and above.
Simplicity should be the goal when listing websites. Please remove http://, https://, and www. from addresses. When possible, website addresses should be simplified to the format:
The website for the Louisville Metro government would be:
Although some places have pages for individual locations, like specific stores in a chain, you should use the primary website. The website for a Marathon station should be:
If the website for the place is hosted by a higher entity and includes information after domain suffix, please include information that is neccessary.
The website for one of the city parks in Louisville would be:
Kentucky editors consider Hospitals to be a very important Places to have set correctly on the map. Having a map full of Places with the Hospital category, or not having real hospitals available in searches makes it difficult for users to get help when they need it. Anything that does not have emergency services (ER or Immediate Care) should not have the Hospital/Medical category set. For individual doctor practices, dentists, or chiropractors, set the Place to Offices. For Nursing Homes, Psych Hospitals, or other large medical facilities that do not provide emergency services, please use Personal Care. If you are setting up an Immediate Care center with the Medical category, you must add the proper open and close times so users will see that it is closed outside of the business hours.
To better recognize which places might have an incorrect listing of Hospital, install the WME Place Harmonizer script (Rank 2+).
To get true hospitals added to the map, we are using a list from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Some of these hospitals do not have emergency services and need to be set for a different category. They are listed and completion should be tracked on this spreadsheet. If you do not have access to edit the sheet. Please contact one of the State Managers listed below.
To be considered complete, hospitals must have everything entered from the Place Locking area or this wiki page, as well as the ER point Place mapped and Parking lots named and set as area Places. Please use these guidelines when naming ER point Places.
- Set the primary name as "ER - Hospital Name"
- Alternate names for ER point Places should include:
- A name that spells out "Emergency Room" with the hospital name
- (ex. "Baptist Hospital East - Emergency Room")
- A name that includes the city name if not already present in the hospital name
- (ex. "ER - Versailles" as an alt name for Bluegrass Community Hospital)
- Do not add an alt name with the city name if the city is listed as part of the hospital name; it is redundant for search purposes.
- (ex. "ER - Frankfort" SHOULD NOT be added to Frankfort Regional Medical Center).
Kentucky Post Office Naming
Naming Post Office locations in Kentucky varies from USA guidance to follow the NYC Naming Model. When mapping these locations in Kentucky, the name format should be:
- USPS: Start the name with "Post Office" and the zip code, if there is a station specific name, put that after the zip code separated by a hyphen (-). Add an alternate name for "USPS". Include "CPU" or "VPO" if they are listed in the name by the USPS.
- "Post Office 10001 - James A Farley"
- "Post Office 10458 - CPU Fordham University"
- "Post Office 10469"
- "Post Office 11213 - St John's Pl"
- "Post Office 10001 - James A Farley"